Race Report: Toronto Yonge St 10k

Seven years ago, I set out on my first organized running race. At the time, I had minimal experience and the thought of completing a 10 km course terrified me. I remember it vividly as the starting horn went off and thousands of athletes began their trek south to the heart of the city, U2's Beautiful Day playing in my headphones. The mood was electric and, despite my fear, I was soon swept up in the crowd's enthusiasm. That race was the Toronto Yonge St 10k and that morning marked the start of a journey that continues to this day.

Fast forward to the present and the 2014 edition of the race finally arrived. This year was different for a few reasons:
- I felt ready for a comeback, after sitting out last year's race with stress fractures
- I trained very consistently throughout the winter -- despite the harsh conditions -- under the watchful eye of coach Roger Hoss of Ignition Fitness
- I ran as a member an inspiring crew of runners united by social media: the #TYS10K digital champions

Like everyone else in the race, I tracked the weather religiously, analyzing the hour-by-hour forecasts. Up until Saturday night, every meteorologist called for RAIN and I mentally prepared to run through thunderstorms. Happily, Mother Nature smiled on us, giving us perfect conditions: sunshine and temperatures hovering around 10-12 degrees by the end of the race.

The kind folks at 2XU Canada outfitted a group of runners in new gear, so I had a new t-shirt and shorts that fit perfectly -- and looked great. I also wore compression socks, to reduce the aggravation on my shin splints. The clothes kept me feeling strong right through to the finish line and beyond.

The start line logistics were well organized and bag check worked like a charm. I passed my bag to a volunteer and watched it disappear up through a school bus window, to be transported to the finish line while I ran. These races wouldn't happen without the help of hundreds of high school students -- thank you for volunteering!

About 30 minutes prior to start time, I gathered with the digital champions. It was such a blast to meet people in person after connecting online for the past several months. The champs represent a diverse cross section of the province, with different speeds, goals and life stories, but each united by a passion for this sport. We've supported one another and encouraged other TYS10K runners throughout the dark winter months and our big day had finally arrived. What could be more exciting?

Much like in Harry's Spring Run-off, I didn't have a sophisticated plan. I thought I'd go for a negative split and aim for a new PB, something under 44:00 and over 42:00. I scrawled my target pace range in blue ink on the top of my left hand. That should do it.

I did the core and glute warm-ups my physiotherapist assigned me and the ABC dynamic exercises that I learned from my coach. My shins were still slightly tender from the race (and volleyball) the previous weekend, but overall, my legs felt light and nimble -- ready to go.
Start line selfie

The first few kilometres I felt strong and in the groove -- the sound of the footsteps around me both  music and motivation -- if not a bit faster than planned. Perhaps I again got caught up in the exhilaration of the moment because by the time I hit the halfway mark, I looked at my Garmin and realized that I was just seven seconds off my PB for 5 km. That definitely was not in the plan.

That said, I was having a blast. Yonge Street south of Bloor is my neighbourhood, so that adds a little extra motivation to keep the pace. When I finally hit Richmond and lost the benefit of the downhill, my pace slowed just a little and I decided to play the game of reeling in runners to keep me going. Westward and again south we went, passing the steel drum band and smiling volunteers, finally rounding the bend toward Fort York and the cheering crowds.

Me feeling fine in my 2XU gear and TYS10K shades
 
Approaching the finish line, I didn't have much in me for a final kick and I think a couple people sped by me, but that didn't matter. I ran strong, smiled and looked at the time, realizing to my surprise that I had smashed my previous PB by almost three minutes, to clock in at 41:22. A very happy ending to several months of training and social media camaraderie and encouraging start to the 2014 season.

New hardware



Comments

Popular Posts