My favourite real food cycling snacks

When it comes to race day, my on-the-bike nutrition is usually in the form of gels, electrolyte drink and water.  On the other hand, during the many months of indoor training that surround those events, I stick to real food snacks.

My go to nutrition is light, easy-to-digest and provides the carbs I need.

Here are the three snacks you'll find in my kitchen - and beside my trainer:

Dried Apricots
Raisins
Bananas


How do you know if you'll need a snack during your workout?  Nutritionists generally recommend consuming 30 - 60 g worth of carbs per hour if your exercise will exceed one hour and it is being done with at least moderate level of intensity.  What's more, those carbs will both fuel your workout and help your recovery. 

Seeing as my bike workouts are generally 1.5 hours during the week, I don't necessarily need a snack.  I'll grab one if I didn't time my meals properly at work and I'm feeling a little weak or lethargic at the end of the day before getting onto my bike. 

One banana has about 23 g of carbs and a small box of raisins has about 34 g.  There are 63 g of carbs in a 100 g serving of dried apricots, but just don't ask me how many pieces that equals, because I don't have a kitchen scale.  So I just eat up to a maximum of three (okay, perhaps four!) during a tough workout. 

Recovery snack: The ideal recovery nutrition is consumed within 30 minutes of your workout and contains a carb to protein ratio of 4:1.  A quick and easy snack is a single banana and a cup of 2% white milk.  Yes, it really can be that easy. 

If it's been a super intense workout, then I'll mix up a Vega One protein shake in a blender, adding some powdered glutamine to aid recovery as well as frozen berries or fruit to get additional antioxidants and carbs. 

Happy riding!



Comments

Popular Posts